Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Fri Jan 3 22:11:22 EST 1997

     There are, perhaps, multiple agenda to be resolved. But the need for a
     capable, readily implementable and expandable IP printing system is, I
     think, rather clear.

       1. IP appears to be  becoming the predominant protocol, not just for
     things concerned with the popular concept of the Internet, but for the
     work-horse networking in business and commerce as well as education
     and scientific areas.

       2. the new IP clientele include a large non-Unix oriented, non
     workstation oriented population. They are PC and Intel-box Windows
     people accustomed to expecting plug and play, non technically
     demanding, 'user friendly' capabilities that still provide them with
     the perception of control.

       3. Printing, in meeting the demands of the market, has become very
     complicated in imaging, paper handling. marking processes, etc. Those
     same technically unsophisticated users want to be able to take
     advantage of these features (which, of course, is the reason they
     bought the new printers with those features). I would suggest that
     many classical IP clientele have similar desires and expectations.

     A standardized protocol for a IP printing system is needed. LPD does
     not provide a sufficient base for the existing printer capabilities
     let alone for the coming ones. DPA has defined perhaps too broad and
     inclusive a capability; as Novell has pointed out, there are several
     non compatible  implementations. Non compatible implementations are
     not in keeping with internetworking.

     Although presented as an approach to "Internet Printing"  (which means
     different things to different people and has a certain panache to it)
     the objective of Novell's LDPA was to provide a subset of the
     advantages of DPA in a standardized from to the community of Internet
     Protocol users. Although there have been certain changes, that remains
     the core of the IPP document. I suggest we return to that core
     objective, which is not insubstantial and may need some trimming,
     keeping in mind that what is established will have to act as the base
     for the grander printing schemes we envision.