JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Sun Mar 9 12:19:07 EST 1997

Geoff,

Well, it sure is good to see that you're still alive...  ;-)

Should you actually send your original message (below) to the "secretary
of the internet society", or the Secretary General of the United Nations,
or whomever, please make sure you send along THIS message, as well.

You've once again displayed some very interesting words, some interesting
food for thought.  However, it kinda reminds me of a well-known advertising
campaign held in the US during the 1980's, namely:

	"Where's the beef?"

In all of your many words, very little substance was presented.  Lots of
quasi-political diatribe, to be sure, but very little substance in terms
of real, hard suggestions.

I, for one, am quick sick and tired of hearing non-USA people saying what
a nirvana it must be to be working in the United States.  Sorry, but 56/64k
lines of communication are FAR from standard here.  Available?  Maybe.
Affordable?  Not always.  My company (Underscore), for example, has been
running its operations on a lowly 28.8k async link for quite some time
now...and let me tell you, we *rarely* get a full 28.8k in practice.
However, we still do business the best way that we can.  And we're not
alone in this situation.

You make it sound like most of the *real* work done in the IPP is done
via face-to-face meetings within the continental United States.  This
is simply NOT TRUE.  The vast majority of work has been done via the
mailing lists and publicly available teleconferences (which are open
to everyone...but paid for by US-based companies, I might add).

Please don't turn the IPP effort into another one of your frequent
"United States vs. the World" rampages.  It's just not appropriate,
much less accurate.

And yes, let the debate begin.  The sooner the better.  But let's
focus on PRINTING issues, and not on political issues.

	...jay

--  JK Martin               |  Email:   jkm at underscore.com          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03015-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --