IPP> Re: MOD - Re. Paper size

Don Wright don at lexmark.com
Mon Mar 17 11:04:42 EST 1997

Carl-Uno:

Well, I guess we will have to disagree on this one.  If the author
wants to print on A4 then format it for A4.  If he wants it on US Letter
then format it for US Letter.  If he wants it on both then format it
for both.  If the printer can "fit to page" great but I still do not
think this is in the realm of a print transport protocol.  I don't think
putting this burden on the print server is acceptable.  I don't think
most clients (read users) will even know for what size the job
was formatted, let alone figure out how to tell the system what to
do,  There are too many rat holes in this problem and no sure
solutions.  The users will still be unable to reliably predict what
the output will look like.

Don