IPP> Protocol Definition

Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Thu Apr 10 17:43:42 EDT 1997

In the last two meetings (Austin & IETF Plenary in Memphis), we
have talked about HTTP as a transport for IPP, and in my
proposal I have also used the "application/ipp" MIME type
as a delivery mechanism for "tunneling" the actual IPP-specific
protocol through HTTP. In each scenario we have discussed, we
have always talked about encapsulating an "IPP payload" and
I am working on exactly how to do this. My instinctive
reaction to unambiguously specifying this protocol, and to
make it transport-independent, is to specify the protocol
using ASN.1. It seems like a good contender although its
syntax sometimes ruffles a few feathers within the PWG; still,
for the purposes of encapsulation, it is ideally suited for
this purpose.

I would like to propose that we specify the IPP protocol
itself using ASN.1 language.

Comments ?  (yeah, right, like there won't be comments on this one...)

Randy

--
Randy Turner
Network Architect