IPP>MOD - your comments on conformance

Roger K Debry rdebry at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 23 10:27:23 EDT 1997

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: rdebry at us.ibm.com
phone: 1-303-924-4080

Bob, thank you for your comments. I agree with most of them and will
work them into the conformance text. However, one area that I feel
very uncomfortable with is the current discussion going on in the model
group on supportedXXX and defaultXXX.  This whole discussion seems
overly complicated to me.

What is wrong with simply using the convention that the first attribute
value returned is the default. For example, if the Printer implements
the Sides attribute and supports the values 1-sided and 2-sided-long-
edge, and 1-sided is the default, then in response to a query on
sides the response would be

sides: 1-sided, 2-sided-long-edge.

On the other hand, if 2-sided-long-edge were the default, then the
response would be

sides: 2-sided-long-edge, 1-sided.

Seems simple, straightforward to me.