IPP>PRO - Print by reference

Scott Isaacson SISAACSON at novell.com
Fri May 30 14:57:52 EDT 1997

I thought that a "reference" in "print-by-reference" meant a URI.

If it is a URI, then the URI determines the method for "fetching".  We
do not need to do anything to IPP to define a new way to fetch.
If it is an HTTP URI, do a GET on the URL
If it is an FTP URI, use FTP, etc.

I don't see an URI like "ipp://..." being used.

I had thought about what Scott L. was suggesting about having an
attribute describe the whether the Printer supported print-by-reference
or not.  What if we made this like "notification-addresses-supported" which
is a list of URI schemes that are supported by the Printer.?

Scott

Scott A. Isaacson
Print Services Consulting Engineer
Novell Inc., 122 E 1700 S, Provo, UT 84606
V: (801) 861-7366, (800) 453-1267 x17366
F: (801) 861-4025, E: scott_isaacson at novell.com
W: http://www.novell.com

>>> Roger K Debry <rdebry at us.ibm.com> 05/30 7:00 AM >>>
So far we have said (rightly or wrongly) that the actual fetch
of the actual fetch of the referenced document was outside the
scope of IPP.  For example, an implementation might use FTP
to retrieve a document.  If this were the case, then don't we still
get by with just an origin server?   Do you thinnk we need to add
the fetch to IPP and use HTTP for this?

Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology