Scott Lawrence lawrence at agranat.com
Fri May 30 14:16:13 EDT 1997

LM> The difficult issue in print-by-reference is how the sender
LM> supplies the credentials if any at all are required. There
LM> is no single standard for identity in Internet protocols, and
LM> there's no standard encapsulation of credentials.

  Agreed; which, I presume, is why Roger K deBry [RKD] suggested that
  only 'publicly available' [a question-begging term, IMHO] documents
  could be printed by reference:

RKD> The two conditions required are that the document be in a
RKD> standard printable format and that the document be publicaly
RKD> available.

  My answer is to say that no credentials of the user are employed by
  the printer to obtain the referenced document; instead, whatever
  credentials of its own the printer has are used.  This degenerates
  to Rogers' model when the printer has no credentials of any kind
  (but note that the document repository might choose to consider the
  source IP address or domain name of the printer to be a form of weak
  but acceptable credential).  You might need an extra status or two
  to communicate the inability of the printer to access the referenced
  document, but I suspect you need that no matter how you do this.

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <lawrence at agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/