IPP> Resolutions

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Jun 6 20:37:46 EDT 1997

At 05:06 PM 6/6/97 PDT, Robert Herriot wrote:
>The IPP solution using keywords is nearly the same as the text solution
>you are proposing. Since the protocol implements keywords as character
>strings, the only difference between your text proposal and the current
>IPP solution is that someone has to register each new resolution as a
>type2 keyword.
>
>Perhaps, what you are saying tacitly is that because the format for
>such keywords is Int or IntxInt where each Int value has a well defined
>meaning, we could just as well define resolution as a new syntax type and
>allow printer vendors to use new values of Int without the need to
>register them.

I was thinking about the latter case, that there should not be necessary
to go and register every value before you can use it.  The alternative would
be to define a list containing all the values that we are aware of now, and
let vendors with odd values register their own later, but that is
definately more messy.

Defining a separate syntax seems the simpler way to solve this. Also, an
XxY syntax may well come in handy for other attributes in the future.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com