Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Mon Sep 8 16:47:20 EDT 1997

Robert Herriot wrote:

> > From rturner at sharplabs.com Fri Sep  5 18:50:19 1997
>
> > I don't consider the scenario of an LPD client talking over the
> network
> > to a IPP server to be a viable scenario. For transitional purposes,
> > administrators should not be tearing down their existing printing
> > environments, in this case, we don't have to worry about actually
> > converting LPD control file attributes to IPP equivalents; because
> each
> > site's existing LPD environment works fine as it is.
>
> You forgot about the very important case of new IPP servers having to
> take jobs from existing LPD clients. This will require LPD-to-IPP
> gateways
> on such servers in order to allow for an orderly transition of
> customers.

This is the case I was talking about, I don't think this is a
prevalent case. The currently existing base of LPR clients currently
use LPR/LPD to print, and these systems work. When transitioning
to IPP, I don't expect these systems to be torn down. Rather, I
expect client to slowly be configured with IPP clients. You could
even have a hybrid case where the LPR/remote-LP (SYSV) system has
their respective "printcap" file entries for certain IPP-enabled
servers point to shell scripts that automatically launch a real
IPP client to do the "over-the-wire" stuff.

Overall, I don't consider this particular gateway problem to be
worthy of altering the original model. The real value in getting
IPP to users is not enabling LPR clients, its enabling IPP clients
being able to locate IPP printers via the WEB and subsequently
printing to them. I think we're spending too much time trying to
save gateway writers a few lines of code.

Randy