IPP> Supported URIs for print-by-reference

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Sep 25 12:55:29 EDT 1997

At 09:11 AM 9/25/97 PDT, Larry Masinter wrote:
>I think that putting that IPP servers MUST support "ftp:" is a mistake,
>since the "ftp:" URL scheme will probably not progress along standards
>track without some serious reengineering, and it isn't clear what it
>is that you're expecting the printers to be conformant with. MUST they
>also support the ";type=" option in FTP URLs, since that's a Proposed
>Standard? MUST they also support ftp://user:@host/ forms?
>
>Right now, the choice of binary or ascii transfer methods in FTP is
>heuristic.

This might be a reason to drop ftp from our mandatory list, but in any case
we cannot always guarantee that a print-by-reference URI will actually work.

>Frankly, you'd be better off requiring support for URIs of type "https",
>and also in specifying other attributes of what a printer might do when
>retrieving data via http on behalf of another user, e.g., supplying
>credentials, the user-agent string, cookies, etc.

Sorry, but we have already discovered that we cannot do print-by-reference
with any of the existing security mechanisms, so forget "https".  We have
enough problems with wanting to reference security work that is not yet on
the standards track.

>Larry
>--
>http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com