Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Sun Nov 9 22:23:38 EST 1997

Bob Van Andel wrote:

> Randy,
>

> > I'm wondering if we could define an *anonymous*
> > authentication that clients could use and that IPP
> > servers would recognize as a kind of *guest*
> > authentication...this may have already been
> > defined within some other security working group....
> >

> Why is *anonymous* printing (which is certainly a desirable case)
> any different than *anonymous* Web site access?
> In other words, why isn't unsecured access acceptable for this case?

Logically, I think the two scenarios are the same. The problem with
this scenario is that HTTP and IPP have two different goals with
respect to the end user. Currently, I don't know of any way an HTTP
client has to direct an HTTP server to make a particular connection
secure, and IPP needs either end to indicate this requirement.

We're just using HTTP to transport IPP messages, IPP has different
end user scenarios...

Randy