[IPP] High North has reviewed the IPP Finishings 2.0 specification and has comments

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Sep 12 15:45:53 UTC 2014

Ira,

Thanks, some quick feedback (which I'll include in the lcrc file as well...)

On Sep 11, 2014, at 11:55 PM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> These three comments are from the 8 September draft of JDFMAP
> - names are PWG SM names (but map one-to-one to IPP names):
>
> (1) Coating.CoatingType
> Comment [i11]:
> 06/16/14 – IPP WG – Maybe import JDF coating types?
> Mike will review.  08/25 – TBD by Mike

Looks like the only coating types that cannot be directly mapped now are "Aqueous" (whatever that is) and "Protective" (again, no definition...)  No objection to adding them as long as we can define them.

> (2) Folding -> add FoldingType?
> Comment [i12]:
> 06/16/14 – IPP WG – This will require some calculation since
> all folds are from the top or left in JDF (Mike).
> 08/25/14 – Rainer says can be achieved in with
> FoldingParamsLink/@Matrix (which can do rotations and flips).
> Rainer says JDF folding for digital will be FoldingParams/@FoldCatalog

I don't see a FoldingType or FoldingParamsLink/@Matrix in JDF 1.5.

I see a BoxFoldingType, but that's not the same.

Right now we follow JDF's FoldingParams/Fold/@{From|To|RelativeTravel|Travel}.

But as for @FoldCatalog, that is the equivalent to the fold-xxx values we have (just more values than we currently define).

> (3) Punching -> add PunchingType?
> Comment [i13]:
> 08/25/14 – Rainer says JDF has @HoleType that gives you a
> catalog of standard hole type names – should PWG add
> PunchingType to IPP Finishings 2.0?

There is a "HoleType" in HoleMakingParams.  But we already have the punch-dual-xxx, punch-triple-xxx, and punch-quad-xxx keywords and enums so I'm not sure it would be much use beyond those (i.e. use "finishing-template='punch-xxx'" as the equivalent of @HoleType...)