[IPP] 5100.11 : "job-password" and "job-save-disposition"

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Wed Aug 9 21:08:32 UTC 2017

Hi there,

As per my action item from the June 29, 2017 IPP WG minutes (http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/ippv2-concall-minutes-20170629.pdf <http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/ippv2-concall-minutes-20170629.pdf>), I am finally providing a use case illustrating what I think IPP is lacking but should support:

Wilma has created a document that she wants to be saved on the department MFD, but wants only those that have the document's password to be able to print it. She chooses to add a password to the job and also chooses to save the job in the print dialog, and clicks on "Print" to submit the job to the printer. The Printer receives the Job, where its processing consists of the Job being saved for reprint later. The password persists with the saved Job. Wilma then sends out an email to her teammates informing them that the document has been saved on the MFD.

Fred needs a copy of the document, so he goes to the MFD, chooses the job, and is prompted for the saved job's password. Once Fred has entered it successfully into the MFD's control panel, the MFD prints a copy of the saved Job for him.

Requirements:
Provide a method for persisting a job password with a saved job. This is currently unsupported because the semantics of the current "job-password" attribute are such that the Job is kept in "pending-held" state until the password has been provided to the Printer, but the semantics of IPP saved jobs are such that the processing of a saved job results in it being saved. If the processing is being delayed until the password is provided, and then is abandoned (because it is an operation attribute of a Job Creation operation), a gap exists. The existing "document-password" attribute could be provided but its semantics are inappropriate and it only applies to certain document formats.

We can discuss at a later IPP WG meeting (not in this week's vF2F). Let me know if the WG needs more details before proceeding. But this use case is clearly not well supported by 5100.11 (JPS2).

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless Architect - Client Software - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB IF
    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group
    HP Inc.
*/