[IPP] Erratum on RFC 8011 : 'document-attributes-group' not mentioned in Send-Document, etc.

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Mar 12 17:51:14 UTC 2018

Smith,

> On Mar 12, 2018, at 1:16 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architec) <smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 9, 2018, at 2:54 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Smith,
>>
>> PWG 5100.5 is an extension to IPP/1.1 that defines the Document object, the document-attributes-tag (group) value, and the amended semantics for the Send-Document and Send-URI operations.  None of that was part of the core IPP/1.1 (which is what RFC 8011 defines) and we've historically been conservative about requiring support for the Document object extension - right now only IPP/2.2 and IPP INFRA require it and most implementations only support a single document per job anyways...
>
> I understand that we cannot add additional normative requirements. I was just thinking that, if the "document group" were mentioned even in passing as an optional group in 8011, with a reference to PWG 5100.5, that would help with the "cross referencing" thing.

We also have the Subscription object and its associated attribute group that can be included in Job Creation operations but which we don't say anything about (beyond a reference in the introduction)...

I think the last thing we want to do is One Spec to Rule Them All™.  And honestly I don't think that mentioning other attribute groups without providing any details will be all that useful, especially for something as complicated as the Document object extension.