[IPP] RFC: IPP Job Extensions v1.1 or v2.0?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Mar 7 17:51:33 UTC 2019

All,

I mentioned this in a previous thread, but wanted to bring this up in a new thread to discuss separately.

We are in the process of updating PWG 5100.7-2003: IPP Job Extensions (JOBEXT), and based on previous discussions have decided to incorporate parts of PWG 5100.11-2010: IPP Job and Printer Extensions - Set 2 (JPS2) that have more general usefulness, with the remaining enterprise functionality going into a new IPP Enterprise Printing Extensions specification to replace 5100.11 (which will be obsoleted, like we did for the original overrides spec many years ago).

Many of the attributes coming from 5100.11 are OPTIONAL, so adding them to Job Extensions v1.1 poses no problem for our defined standards errata process - no change in conformance for the original 5100.7 so the 5100.7-2019 update will be backwards-compatible with any implementation conformaing to 5100.7-2003.

However, JPS2 also defines four new REQUIRED operations and a REQUIRED operation attribute (job-ids). Keeping these in a 5100.11 errata update would pose no problem, but PWG Process/3.0 says nothing about cross-spec errata updates.

Using a conservative interpretation of the approved process, we would need to change the major version number of the Job Extensions specification to increase the conformance requirements, and then use the "long" process (verification of prototyping, PWG Last Call, and PWG Formal Vote) instead of the "short" process (PWG Call for Objections).

An alternative is to make these operations RECOMMENDED and job-ids conditionally required - then there is no conformance increase and we can use the short process for an errata update.  Since IPP Everywhere already makes most of these operations REQUIRED already, the practical reality is that they will be required attributes.

Thoughts?