[IPP] Initial draft of a "IPP Custom Print Quality and Intent Extensions"

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Thu Apr 18 15:11:09 UTC 2019

> On Apr 18, 2019, at 10:17 AM, Sean Kau <skau at chromium.org> wrote:
>
> For soft-proof-icc-profile, would this be obviated by the proof operations in Enterprise Print Extensions?

They both have the word "proof" in them but they are different. Proof Printing is where you submit a multi-copy job, it prints one copy for you to inspect ("hard proof") before approving additional copies of it to be produced.

"Soft proofing" is a faithful attempt to emulate on-screen the exact layout and color production that will be produced on hardcopy. For unique color transformations, some way to represent that transformation on the Client will be needed to preview that transformation. We didn't want to mix up the ICC profiles for color management from "printer-icc-profiles" with this soft proofing use, so we decided to declare a new collection to isolate these ICC profiles.

> Regarding UI suggestions, it would seem to make sense to include these recommendations in a separate document as they don't pertain specifically to the proposed attributes.
>
> I'm concerned that adding vendor extensions to print-color-mode will significantly complicate client applications attempting to render previews of content as the behavior is predictable now.  I would prefer to add a standard value for printer-color-mode that indicates we defer to an advanced setting for color.

I'm not sure I understand your alternative. That's actually what the "soft-proof-icc-profiles" is supposed to facilitate. But if clients don't want to support that feature, it is their choice.