[IPP] Initial draft of IPP Production Printing Extensions v1.1 (PPX) posted

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed May 1 17:00:14 UTC 2019

All,

I have posted an initial draft of an errata update of PWG 5100.3, renamed to "IPP Production Printing Extensions v1.1 (PPX)", to:

	https://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippppx11-20190501.docx
	https://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippppx11-20190501.pdf
	https://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippppx11-20190501-rev.pdf

This errata is intended to address:

- Removal of references to the original page overrides spec (5100.4)
- Removal and rewording of a lot of “implementation-defined” behavior
- Removal of finishings-col which is now defined in PWG 5100.1-2017: IPP Finishings 2.1
- Removal of new media values which are superseded by PWG 5101.1-2012: PWG Media Standardized Names v2.0
- Obsoletion of the "current-page-order" Job attribute which got updated as the document data is transformed to reflect the new page order (IPP does not expose those sorts of things)
- Obsoletion of the "user-defined-values-supported" Printer attribute as we now (properly) use the IANA IPP registry and well-defined extension semantics for keyword values
- Updating of the defintion of the "imposition-template" Job Template attribute
- Updating of the document template, adding missing sections, and updating references.

Two major issues require discussion:

1. There are a handful of attributes defined in 5100.3 that are not specific to production printing, most notably "media-col" but also "job-account-id", "job-acocunting-user-id", "job-sheets-col", and "presentation-direction-number-up". IMHO they should get moved to the IPP Job Extensions v2.0 update (which is currently in PWG Last Call) and then we can also make "media-col" required (right now everything is OPTIONAL)

2. This specification tries to redefine how Input Pages are numbered in order to support "reverse order" document processing, and that adds a HUGE amount of complexity and special casing that IMHO is totally unnecessary, and could lead to incorrect processing of Jobs by proxies (for example) in the newer infrastructure printing architectures.  I would like to obsolete the "page-order-received" Job Template attribute and all of the "n-to-1-order" semantics in the original 5100.3 so that we don't have those special cases and focus on well-defined semantics and interoperability.