[IPP] IPP Enterprise Printing Extensions v2.0 next draft - question on the F2F minutes

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Wed May 20 04:44:57 UTC 2020

Hi Mike,

In the minutes from the last F2F (https://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/ippv2-f2f-minutes-20200506.pdf <https://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/ippv2-f2f-minutes-20200506.pdf>) covering the review of IPP Enterprise Printing Extensions v2.0, it says this toward the bottom of page 4:

⁃  Decouple job-state from Job Release:

⁃  job-state-reasons provides the Release state information

⁃  While 1.0 says job-password holds a job, subsequent

implementation experience shows that processing a job is also a valid implementation semantic - any job-state is OK for job-password

⁃  Also valid for a Printer to hold a job that has a release action

I'm wondering what this means and how this might affect the document. Are you saying that I need to change the language for "job-password" to soften it so that it isn't a hard requirement for the Job to be in the 'pending-held' state initially? I'm trying to not break backward compatibility so I'm not sure what to do with this.

Thanks for any help,

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy