[IPP] RFC: Add "printer-serial-number (text(255))" to NODRIVER

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Tue Dec 1 19:06:24 UTC 2020

Hi there,

Going to return to the "main thread" ("printer-serial-number") in a second reply. But on the subject of "printer-device-id"...

> On Dec 1, 2020, at 10:13 AM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Right.  5107.2, in order to preserve space for the important info (interpreters
> and MIME types), does NOT allow other keywords in a conformant string
> (except for vendor proprietary ones on the right hand end of the string).

We all seem to agree that the scope of 5107.2 is limited to the values specified for the "COMMAND SET" or "CMD" Device ID capability key, It makes no assertions about any of the other capability keys, whether standard ("MFG" / "MANUFACTURER", "MDL" / "MODEL") or otherwise.

The "SN" is a separate capability key e.g. "MFG:PWG;MDL:Fake Printer;CMD:image/pwg-raster;SN:12345678;"

I think the PWG's perspective ought to be that vendors SHOULD NOT put PII in this or any IPP attributes that don't require authentication. Our "IPP Privacy Attributes v1.0 (PRIVACY)" doesn't seem to look at PII in the Printer itself, more of a focus on Job and Document PII?

> Of course, we're deprecating IEEE 1284 Device ID entirely in IPP, so this is
> not the right place to hide serial number info.

The IANA IPP Registry doesn't show it to be deprecated currently. I don't have any objections to deprecating it, but I am aware of some driver systems that are using IPP as a replacement for SNMP, but they still depend on 1284 Device ID for driver matching, and taking this away from them would cause them to look elsewhere. Then again, we are deprecating, not obsoleting, so it is still "around".