PMP> prtChannelIfIndex

Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Tue Feb 18 23:05:27 EST 1997

     Harry,

     One argument suggests that only the network node being that the
     printer is being viewed through is of interest with respect to network
     node infromation. But the status of the printer must include the
     effect of every interface to the printer (network or local).

        1. If there is more than one NIC, in viewing the printer through
     one NIC, the SNMP presentation must be aware of the other NIC to the
     same degree that it must be aware of all alternate inputs to the
     printer which may affect printer and status. This means the interface
     table must identify all interfaces.

        2. The view should also be able to identify that the printer is (or
     is not) equipped with a second NIC. I think that a MIB-2 interface
     table entry is sufficient since this is what is referenceed in the
     printer MIB (that is, HR MIB inclusion as a network device seems of
     dubious value).

        3. It would be unreasonable and of questionable utility  to provide
     full MIB 2 support for one NIC through the other. This does leave
     Interface table rows with nothing but ifIndex, ifDescr, and ifType
     populated. Is this a problem?

       4. The report on the printer status and capabiltiesm as viewed
     through an interfacem should reflect the capabities of the printer
     accessible though that interface. What is the trouble youi see with
     this?

     Bill Wagner, DPI