PMP> Top 25 Alert Comments

Bob Pentecost bpenteco at boi.hp.com
Tue Apr 29 04:35:02 EDT 1997

During the 4/22 phone conference, I promised to post my concerns
with the proposed Appendix D - Overall Printer Status Table. My
initial concern was for the Offline condition having an alert
table entry, which the group agreed was necessary.

While it may seem that I have a lot here, I think many are just in
need of discussion/clarification since Chuck really did a good
first pass. Also, I have a fair amount of duplication. It should
be noted that while some of this is based on HP's implementation,
much if it is empirical (meaning I think our implementation could
use a little tweaking :-).

Instead of repeating the table here, I've listed the columns and
then put "Okay" if I agree with the document as posted, or I've
put a comment. The original document can be found at:
   ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/contributions/err3.doc
   ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/contributions/err3.pdf

Normal or idle
(no binary alerts): Okay

Printing
(no binary alerts): Okay

Off-line
(no binary alerts)
   hrDeviceStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterDetectedErrorState: Okay
   prtAlertGroup: channel(14)
   prtAlertCode: subunitOffline(32)
   Group Status: prtChannelStatus = Unavailable&OnRequest +
                                    CriticalAlert + Offline
                                    (1+16+32)

Standby or Power
Saver Mode
(no binary alerts)
   hrDeviceStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterStatus: other(1) [per page 20 of MIB]
   hrPrinterDetectedErrorState: Okay
   prtAlertGroup: marker(10)
   prtAlertCode: subunitPowerSaver(23)
   Group Status: prtMarkerStatus = Available&Standby(2)

Initial Power Up
(no binary alerts
(while warming up): All Okay

Warming Up
(no binary alerts): All Okay

Jam
   hrDeviceStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterDetectedErrorState: Jammed(4) [per definition]
   prtAlertGroup: Jammed (4) [per definition]
   prtAlertCode: Okay
   Group Status: Why 'On-line'? Why 'Transitioning'?
   Add Offline Alert
      prtAlertGroup: channel(14)
      prtAlertCode: subunitOffline(32)
      Group Status: prtChannelStatus = Unavailable&OnRequest +
                                       CriticalAlert +
                                       Offline (1+16+32)

Cover/Door
Open (listed
in cover table)
   hrDeviceStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterDetectedErrorState: DoorOpen(8) [per definition] +
                                Offline(2)
   prtAlertGroup: Okay
   prtAlertCode: Okay
   Group Status: Why 'On-line'? Why 'Transitioning'?
   Add Offline Alert
      prtAlertGroup: channel(14)
      prtAlertCode: subunitOffline(32)
      Group Status: prtChannelStatus = Unavailable&OnRequest +
                                       CriticalAlert +
                                       Offline (1+16+32)

Input Tray
Missing
   hrDeviceStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterDetectedErrorState: Okay
   prtAlertGroup: Okay
   prtAlertCode: Okay
   Group Status: Why 'On-line'? Why 'Transitioning'?
   Add Offline Alert
      prtAlertGroup: channel(14)
      prtAlertCode: subunitOffline(32)
      Group Status: prtChannelStatus = Unavailable&OnRequest +
                                       CriticalAlert +
                                       Offline (1+16+32)

Input Tray
Empty
   hrDeviceStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterDetectedErrorState: Okay
   prtAlertGroup: Okay
   prtAlertCode: Okay
   Group Status: Why 'On-line'? Why 'Transitioning'?
   Add Offline Alert
      prtAlertGroup: channel(14)
      prtAlertCode: subunitOffline(32)
      Group Status: prtChannelStatus = Unavailable&OnRequest +
                                       CriticalAlert +
                                       Offline (1+16+32)

Output Tray
Missing
   hrDeviceStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterDetectedErrorState: Okay
   prtAlertGroup: Okay
   prtAlertCode: Okay
   Group Status: Why 'On-line'? Why 'Transitioning'?
   Add Offline Alert
      prtAlertGroup: channel(14)
      prtAlertCode: subunitOffline(32)
      Group Status: prtChannelStatus = Unavailable&OnRequest +
                                       CriticalAlert +
                                       Offline (1+16+32)

Output Tray
Full
   hrDeviceStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterDetectedErrorState: Okay
   prtAlertGroup: Okay
   prtAlertCode: Okay
   Group Status: Why 'On-line'? Why 'Transitioning'?
   Add Offline Alert
      prtAlertGroup: channel(14)
      prtAlertCode: subunitOffline(32)
      Group Status: prtChannelStatus = Unavailable&OnRequest +
                                       CriticalAlert +
                                       Offline (1+16+32)

Marker Supply
Missing
( toner missing,
  ink missing )
   hrDeviceStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterDetectedErrorState: NoToner(16) + Offline(2)
   prtAlertGroup: Marker(10) [corresponds better with Group status
                              Marker]
   prtAlertCode: Okay if markerTonerCartridgeMissing(1115)
   Group Status: Why 'On-line'? Why 'Transitioning'?
   Add Offline Alert
      prtAlertGroup: channel(14)
      prtAlertCode: subunitOffline(32)
      Group Status: prtChannelStatus = Unavailable&OnRequest +
                                       CriticalAlert +
                                       Offline (1+16+32)

Marker Supply
Empty (i.e.,
 toner empty,
 ink low)
   hrDeviceStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterDetectedErrorState: NoToner(16) + Offline(2)
   prtAlertGroup: Okay (Does markerSupplies imply that
                        prtMarkerStatus is the corresponding
                        subunit?)
   prtAlertCode: Okay
   Group Status: Why 'On-line'? Why 'Transitioning'?
   Add Offline Alert
      prtAlertGroup: channel(14)
      prtAlertCode: subunitOffline(32)
      Group Status: prtChannelStatus = Unavailable&OnRequest +
                                       CriticalAlert +
                                       Offline (1+16+32)

Input Tray
Low
   hrDeviceStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterStatus: Okay
   hrPrinterDetectedErrorState: Okay
   prtAlertGroup: Okay
   prtAlertCode: Add inputMediaSupplyLow(807)
   Group Status: Why 'Transitioning'?

Output Tray
Almost Full
   hrDeviceStatus: Okay