PMP> Localization changes to Printer MIB

Bob Pentecost bpenteco at boi.hp.com
Tue Jun 10 18:08:54 EDT 1997

First a question, then some comments.

Will the two new objects, prtGeneralConsoleLocalization and =
prtGeneralStaticLocalization, be mandatory or optional?

My main concern is the magnitude of the changes that we are inducing at =
this late stage. I recalled this topic being discussed in a phone =
conference so I found the following in the minutes (conf-call-970422):
-----------
4. Should the phone:, fax: and email: tags be used in non 8-bit =
environments?  non-English environments?
Ira discussed his proposal for three Textual Conventions for grouping =
all currently defined strings.  Randy also discussed his proposal that =
the current localization should apply to all read/write strings that are =
intended to be human readable and are not explicitly controlled by =
prtConsoleLocalization. =20

After much group discussion, it was agreed that Randy will review Ira's =
proposal and send a recommendation to the mailing list.  The goal is to =
allow the strings to be localized with a minimal impact to the document.
-----------

I don't think the goal of "minimal impact to the document" has been =
reached. We are looking at:
   -- Adding two new objects.
   -- Adding three new textual conventions.
   -- Changing the syntax of 33 objects.

I don't believe a change of this magnitude should go into the document =
just before we submit it. Remember Lloyd's guidelines that said we are =
looking for editorial changes only at this point in time.

Bob Pentecost
HP