PMP> Printer MIB - MARKER ISSUE

Jeff Rackowitz JRackowitz at engpo.msmailgw.intermec.com
Tue Jul 1 18:17:00 EDT 1997

MARKER ISSUE - Event codes for Thermal Transfer/Direct Thermal Print Heads.

In trying to come up with a PrtAlertCodeTC for thermal transfer or direct
thermal label printer print heads to report problems, I reviewed the
PrtAlertCodeTC section for the "Marker group". This group lists the
following enumerationIs:

 -- Marker group
                          markerFuserUnderTemperature(1001),
                          markerFuserOverTemperature(1002),
                          markerFuserTimingFailure(1003),
                          markerFuserThermistorFailure(1004),
                          markerAdjustingPrintQuality(1005),

I would have to say that the term "fuser" applies to laser technology. I
donIt think this term applies to direct thermal or thermal transfer
technology. So to allow thermal transfer, direct thermal and any future
technologies to be included, There are a couple of ways that the
enumerationIs can address this issue.

>>> SOLUTION 1.1

Create the following enumerationIs in the Marker group:

markerPrintHeadUnderTemperature(tbd),
markerPrintHeadOverTemperature(tbd),
markerPrintHeadTimingFailure(tbd),
markerPrintHeadThermistorFailure(tbd),

This was my initial suggestion. I asked Tom Hastings about these
enumerationIs at the Nashua meeting. Tom suggested that a generic event code
may be more appropriate.

>>> SOLUTION 1.2

Create the following enumerationIs in the subunit group:

subunitUnderTemperature(tbd),
subunitOverTemperature(tbd),
subunitTimingFailure(tbd),
subunitThermistorFailure(tbd),

Either solution would require new enumerationIs to be added to the
PrtAlertGroupTC object. I agree with Tom Hastings that a generic event code
would be the better solution. This will allow all Marker technologies
(current and future) to be addressed.

Jeff Rackowitz
Intermec Corp
jeffr at intermec.com