PMP> Printer MIB - FINISHER ISSUE

Jeff Rackowitz JRackowitz at engpo.msmailgw.intermec.com
Tue Jul 1 19:44:00 EDT 1997

FINISHER ISSUE - Finishers are not addressed in the Printer MIB

Our printers use a cutter as a media finisher. Since the finishers sub-unit
of the printer model is not defined in the new Printer MIB standard, there
is no way to status finishers in this MIB. I spoke with Harry Lewis about
this issue in Nashua. Harry suggested I put something on the list server for
the PMP to review. Since "finisher" is one of the main elements in the
printer model block diagram and finisher is one of the basic 13 sub-units. I
believe that the "Finisher" should be a type 1 enumeration. Because there
are PrtAlertCodeTC enumerationIs that apply to sub-units in general, the
standard should allow for at least the basic 13 sub-units. I believe that
this standard should provide a means for finishers to be addressed.

>>> PROPOSED SOLUTION

PrtAlertGroupTC.

conventions section:

          --
          -- Textual conventions for this MIB module
          -- Generic unspecific textual conventions

PrtFinisherTypeTC ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
               -- This is a type 2 enumeration
               STATUS current
               DESCRIPTION
                    "The Type of finisher described by this sub-unit"
               SYNTAX INTEGER {
                              other(1),
                              unknown(2),
                              cutter(3),
                              stapler(4),
                              puncher(5),
                           }

(primarily cut and pasted from the Output Group). IIm sure that this doesnIt
address all of the issues but it should allow some BASIC finisher status to
be conveyed:

 -- The Finisher Group
          --
          -- Finisher sub-units are managed as a tabular, indexed collection
          -- of possible devices capable of performing finishing on media

          prtFinisher  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { printmib 19 }

          prtFinisherTable OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX     SEQUENCE OF PrtOutputEntry
              MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
              STATUS     current
              DESCRIPTION
                   "A table of the devices capable of finishing media
                   delivered from the printing process."
              ::= { prtFinisher 2 }

          prtFinisherEntry OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX     PrtOutputEntry
              MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
              STATUS     current
              DESCRIPTION
                   "Attributes of a device capable of receiving media
                   delivered from the printing process. Entries may exist
                   in the table for each device index with a device type of
                   'printer'."
              INDEX  { hrDeviceIndex, prtFinisherIndex }
              ::= { prtFinisherTable 1 }

          PrtFinisherEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
                  prtFinisherIndex                    Integer32,
                  prtFinisherType                     PrtFinisherTypeTC,
                  prtFinisherStatus                   PrtSubUnitStatusTC,
                  prtFinisherName
            PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC,
                  prtFinisherVendorName
      PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC,
                  prtFinisherModel
           PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC,
                  prtFinisherVersion
         PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC,
                  prtFinisherSerialNumber
    PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC,
                  prtFinisherDescription
    PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayStringTC,
          }

prtFinisherIndex OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX     Integer32
              MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
              STATUS     current
              DESCRIPTION
                  "A unique value used by this printer to identify this
                  output sub-unit. Although these values may change due
                  to a major reconfiguration of the sub-unit (e.g.  the
                  addition of new output devices to the printer), values
                  are expected to remain stable across successive printer
                  power cycles."
              ::= { prtFinisherEntry 1 }

          prtFinisherType OBJECT-TYPE
              -- This value is a type 2 enumeration
              SYNTAX     PrtFinisherTypeTC
              MAX-ACCESS read-only
              STATUS     current
              DESCRIPTION
                  "The Type of finisher described by this sub-unit"
              ::= { prtFinisherEntry 2 }

          prtFinisherStatus OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX     PrtSubUnitStatusTC
              MAX-ACCESS read-only
              STATUS     current
              DESCRIPTION
                  "The current status of this finisher sub-unit."
              ::= { prtFinisherEntry 3 }

          -- The Extended Finisher Group
          --
          -- This group is optional.  However, to claim conformance to this
          -- group, it is necessary to implement every object in the group.

          prtFinisherName OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX     PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC (SIZE (0..63))
              MAX-ACCESS read-write
              STATUS     current
              DESCRIPTION
                  "The name assigned to this finisher sub-unit."
              ::= { prtFinisherEntry 4 }

          prtFinisherVendorName OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX     PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC (SIZE (0..63))
              MAX-ACCESS read-only
              STATUS     current
              DESCRIPTION
                  "The vendor name of this finisher sub-unit."
              ::= { prtFinisherEntry 5 }

          prtFinisherModel OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX     PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC (SIZE (0..63))
              MAX-ACCESS read-only
              STATUS     current
              DESCRIPTION
                  "The model assigned to this finisher sub-unit."
              ::= { prtFinisherEntry 6 }

          prtFinisherVersion OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX     PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC (SIZE (0..63))
              MAX-ACCESS read-only
              STATUS     current
              DESCRIPTION
                  "The version of this output sub-unit."
              ::= { prtFinisherEntry 7 }

          prtFinisherSerialNumber OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX     PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC (SIZE (0..32))
              MAX-ACCESS read-only
              STATUS     current
              DESCRIPTION
                  "The serial number assigned to this output sub-unit."
              ::= { prtFinisherEntry 8 }

          prtFinisherDescription OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX     PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayStringTC (SIZE (0..255))
              MAX-ACCESS read-only
              STATUS     current
              DESCRIPTION
                   "A free-form text description of this output sub-unit in
                   the localization specified by
                   prtGeneralCurrentLocalization."
              ::= { prtFinisherEntry 9 }

I welcome your comments.