McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Fri Sep 20 19:05:43 EDT 2002

Hi Juergen,

While you're correct that we should define another column
in 'prtInterpreterTable' to disambiguate this units problem,
that's not very practical.

The actual objects (very few) newly defined in Printer MIB v2
have all been stable for four or five years.  Several printer
vendors have been shipping full Printer MIB v2 implementations
for two or three years.  The tools all understand the current
objects in Printer MIB v2.  Adding an object now would be
unpopular in the extreme.

Vendors - is adding a new column to 'prtInterpreterTable'
(the technically correct solution) acceptable?

Ron and Harry - I'm personally ambivalent about this issue.
Juergen has uncovered a non-trivial bug in the Printer MIB
(v1 and v2).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, co-editor of Printer MIB v2
  High North Inc