Was the PWG Bake-Off a Success or Failure?

Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Mon Aug 5 17:02:43 EDT 1996

     Gail,

     Although the RFC discusses off-line (offline in different places...
     are we going to make that consistent?), it does not offer a concise
     definition. My recollection is that this was one of those things that
     "everyone knows what it means" (although there are several distinctly
     different meanings). Thus, there seemed to be no possibility of coming
     to consensus.

     Indeed, off-line may mean that data cannot be accepted by the printer,
     or that the (selected) interpreter will not accept any more, although
     the input buffers will still fill up. It may signify a state requiring
     human action to put the unit on-line, although the printer may have
     gone off-line either by operator action or by some critical failure. I
     have even heard a definition that requires that the printer cease all
     mechanical motion when it id off-line. However, I have not previously
     heard of a printer going off line when it is (what I would call) busy,
     which appears to be the Lexmark implementation.

     It seems to me that this was one of those "left to the discretion of
     the manufacturer" items.

     Bill Wagner, DPI