What exactly does "busy" really mean?

Jeff Schnitzer jds at underscore.com
Mon Aug 26 12:39:56 EDT 1996

> Tom Hastings wrote:
>
>  Busy means that the printer or sub-unit is not able to accept print
>  jobs for some period of time.

If intended as a simpler (replacement) definition of busy, this statement
is inadequate:  Broken devices (human invention required) would appear busy.

Bill Wagner wrote:

>      I guess I don't see the problem. Busy is defined in the MIB as
>      "Busy / Temporarily Unavailable - The printer or sub-unit is
>         operational but currently occupied with a request for activity. The
>         sub-unit will become available without the need of human
>         interaction."
>
>      The observation that "Busy means that the printer or sub-unit is not
>      able to accept print jobs for some period of time." appears to be an
>      interpretation of the MIB statement (and not one which I would suggest
>      be added to the MIB.

I agree with Bill; the existing definition says all it needs to say.

/Jeff

Jeffrey D. Schnitzer      |   Email:  jds at underscore.com
Underscore, Inc.          |   Voice:  (603) 889-7000
41-C Sagamore Park Rd     |     Fax:  (603) 889-2699
Hudson, NH  03051-4915    |     Web:  http://www.underscore.com