PWG> FW: [PWG SC topic] Tim Bray on RelaxNG

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Mon Nov 28 13:08:03 EST 2005

Hi folks,

Topic for next WIMS telecon and next PWG Steering Committee telecon.

[The context is describing constraints in schema for XML documents]

Below is a thought-provoking comment recently from Tim Bray (Textuality)
about the misuse of W3C XML Schema in IETF specs where ISO Relax NG would
be more appropriate.

Tim's _first_ sentence (not quoted below) was:

  "My input: The proposal is an attempt to work around one of the many known

  limitations of W3C XML Schema. It also seems to increase the complexity
and
  decrease the readability of your XML."

It's worth considering whether our PWG standard SM/1.0 printing schema and
the new WIMS imaging system schema should be translated to Relax NG.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com