Paul, thank you for generating this draft.
1. I agree with the points that Ira and Michael have made. Although I am not strongly opposed to Paul’s version, and Michael’s is not what I would prefer it to be, Michael’s does reflect what appears to be the consensus of the PWG (by default, since I did not hear any strong opposition to the notion that the model is to reflect only IPP) But perhaps this should be discussed more.
2. I suggest that the semantic model task not only be put first, but that the task definition include maintaining a web browsable version. Wording is it bit rough too.
3. I see no reason to list document editors, especially for documents that no longer exist as chartered projects. At any rate, I would want my name removed.
4. I object to listing on-hold projects and I object to listing potential projects.
5. Unless you wish to define the maintenance of the semantic model project as relating to SM3, I object to any mention of SM3 in the Objectives. At any rate, objectives 1,2, 4 and 5 should be removed.
From: Ira McDonald
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2015 1:24 PM
To: Semantic Model 3.0 Workgroup discussion list;Ira McDonald
Subject: Re: [SM3] New SM3 Draft Charter Uploaded to PWG FTP Site
I agree with all of Mike's comments.
I like Mike's revised problem statement.
I'm opposed to any mention at all of 3D when the 3D work is strictly BOF
in PWG and has not become a work item in IPP WG (and is unlikely to
do so in this calendar year, IMHO).
Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Winter 579 Park Place Saline, MI 48176 734-944-0094
Summer PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839 906-494-2434
On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>> > On Aug 23, 2015, at 9:56 PM, Paul Tykodi <ptykodi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Per an action item from the last F2F, a new SM3 draft charter has been
> uploaded to the PWG FTP site.
>> 1. The problem statement should probably be re-written based on the
> current focus, e.g.:
>> "The Semantic Model workgroup is responsible for maintaining the PWG
> Semantic Model and defining new mappings and abstract models as needed to
> support interoperability and data exchange between Imaging Systems. The
> PWG Semantic Model is an abstract version of the Internet Printing Protocol
> model and semantics which enables interoperability and data exchange with
> other protocols and XML schema."
>> 2. The schema maintenance should probably be the first work item, since it
> is the primary ongoing task.
>> 3. Drop PPDMAP. Please. It is not an "on hold" specification, we've
> agreed to drop it several times already and I am not available to be an
> editor for it.
>> 4. I'm not sure the 3D stuff needs to be there; if we end up moving
> forward with an IPP version of the specification, the semantic model work
> would be schema maintenance.
> Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair
> sm3 mailing list
>sm3 at pwg.org>https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/sm3>_______________________________________________
sm3 mailing list
sm3 at pwg.orghttps://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/sm3