WIMS> CIM> Deprecating (almost) all CurrentXxxx properties in CIM_Printer

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Mon Aug 8 18:46:21 EDT 2005

Hi,

I agree with the proposal.

However, I strongly DISAGREE with the creation of new DefaultXxx
properties to be used in place of CurrentCharSet/NaturalLanguage.

We had this discussion during the development of IPP and concluded
that DefaultXxx has the wrong semantics, because they CANNOT be
overridden by the user.  They are the character set and language
for the values in the Printer Description class of attributes (broadly,
everything except Status attributes).  A specific user can request
a Notification (for example) in a different charset/language, but the
Printer current values don't change.  This is NOT the semantics
of DefaultXxx on a Printer object.

Note that the user MUST specify the charset/language of submitted
string attributes with an IPP Job  - it's a protocol error to omit them.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com