Per a phone call with Rick late Friday, I have posted Rick's slides from
the previous week on this topic in the directory:
in the file:
Our concencus at the WIMS-CIM WG telecon of Thursday 22 March:
(1) Do all three proposed simplifications (see slides) to avoid being
forced to add new capabilities classes
(2) Consider reducing the set of base classes (see slides) to speed
up the very slow CIM Core WG review/approval process
Rick and I have mixed feelings about item (2) - if we leave out tables
from Printer MIB entirely in this round of CIM Printing extensions, we
may not reach the (eye of the beholder) "critical mass" to make it
worthwhile for printer manufacturers or printing software vendors to
support the CIM Printing classes.
I personally now favor continuing with all of our new base classes,
but with reduced functionality (less properties) to avoid being forced
to add capabilities classes as well.
- Ira (co-editor of WIMS-CIM Printing Refresh project)
Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com
From: owner-wims at pwg.org [mailto:owner-wims at pwg.org]On Behalf Of Richard_Landau at Dell.com
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 12:00 PM
To: Whittle, Craig; wims at pwg.org
Subject: RE: WIMS> CIM - Teleconference postponed - Please review proposal for scope reduction
Yes, I will post something to try to explain the directoin.
Moving the telecon one week puts it in phase with another that I have recently acquired in the same time slot. I was/am hoping to keep them out of phase on two-week cycles so that I can attend both without having to reschedule either. Can we move the next meeting two weeks instead, or investigate another nearby slot? I apologize for having to suggest such a disruption.
From: owner-wims at pwg.org [mailto:owner-wims at pwg.org] On Behalf Of Whittle, Craig
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:20
To: wims at pwg.org
Subject: WIMS> CIM - Teleconference postponed - Please review proposal for scope reduction
Bill has faithfully sent out agendas / meeting reminders to the e-mail reflector prior to each teleconference. Ira reminded me this morning that Bill was out this week and that I should have sent an agenda earlier this week. Since we are "taking a step back" as Lee pointed out in our last teleconference to consider the new requirements form CIM Core, I propose that we pick up our discussion as an e-mail thread or in our next teleconference on April 5th.
Can you post your proposal to "reduce_scope_of_update" to the ftp server and send out a link to the reflector for review?
If you would like additional background on the issue and proposals, please refer to last week's minutes (see HYPERLINK "ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/wims/minutes/cim_070322.pdf"ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/wims/minutes/cim_070322.pdf).
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.24/741 - Release Date: 3/31/2007 8:54 PM
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...