WIMS> WIMS/CIM Telecon - Mon 13 October 11am EDT

WIMS> WIMS/CIM Telecon - Mon 13 October 11am EDT

Richard_Landau at Dell.com Richard_Landau at Dell.com
Mon Oct 13 13:18:03 EDT 2008

Well, oops, I'm sorry I missed the call.  That's what I get for not
reading my email on Saturday and Sunday.  :-(  I had an early
appointment that ran late, so I didn't read it this morning, either, and
didn't get back in time.

Progress report: Good improvement.

- Classes: The core provider can now Get and Enumerate instances of
Printer, PrintInterlock, PrintInputTray, PrintOutputTray,
PrintAlertRecord, PrintChannel, PrintInterpreter, PrintMediaPath,
PrintMarker.  No association classes yet.  They are next, but I think
most of them are very easy.

- Properties: Almost all the properties are filled in for Interlock and
InputTray.  Only the easy algorithmic properties are done for other
classes, such as direct mappings, constants, nulls, Basis properties,
AvailabilityStatus, CriticalStatus, NoncriticalStatus, InstanceID, Name,
Description, Caption.  Not done: the four new ManagedSystemElement
status properties that we adopted, mainly because most of them apply to
ComputerSystem but not to printer subsystems.  And properties that will
require deep thought or individual coding will have to wait a while.

- Operations: It can now Get any instance by key, and can Enumerate all
instances of any substantive class.

- Magnitude of the problem: surprisingly to me, not that bad.  So far, a
couple thousand lines of Python for the runtime.  A thousand lines of
INI file that require some hand editing (ask Ira!).  A couple thousand
lines of Perl to generate the root INI files.

- It works for exactly one printer.  The core code is not thread-safe
but can be made so fairly easily.  So expanding to multiple printers
should not be hard, but not in this prototype.

- It works local only at the moment, reading MIB dump files rather than
talking to real printers.  That is trivial to add, but would slow down
debug cycles from seconds to minutes.

- I am shocked by the printers that don't implement some basic SNMP
variables such as sysName, which I always thought was mandatory.  Never
mind any of the optional groups in Printer MIB.

- Supplies and Finisher and their associations will probably be tricky.
All cross-table references.  I have had to do some major restructuring
to enable the base functions that they will need.

I will have some sample input and output (printf, nothing pretty) files
for the f2f to show you what I mean by all this.

rick