Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you for considering my proposal
during your WIMS WG meeting. I do appreciate that time that was spent
discussing this request. However, I still do NOT understand why our
proposal to add 'hundredthsOfInkSticks(20)' to
'PrtMarkerSuppliesSupplyUnitTC' was rejected. Why does a new enum for
this optional object require a new RFC in order to extend the enum
definitions? The only rationale that I can loosely apply to your
position is that the enums for the 'prtMarkerSuppliesSupplyUnit' object
may be defined as Type 1 enums. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything
within RFC 3805 which defines the optional 'prtMarkerSuppliesSupplyUnit'
object as requiring type 1 enums. Therefore, can you please help me
understand where this is defined and why? Until then, I will remain
confused about your decision...
Mgr, Device Compliance
Global Remote Services
Xerox Information Management
800 Phillips Road, MS 111-04A, Webster, NY 14580
thomas.silver at xerox.com
585-422-7219 / 8*702-7219
From: Ira McDonald [mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 5:48 PM
To: Silver, Thomas; Michael R Sweet; pmp at pwg.org; wims at pwg.org; Ira
Subject: Response to Xerox request for IANA Printer MIB enumerations
The WIMS WG discussed your request at our teleconference yesterday
and reached the following consensus:
(1) add 'hundredthsOfInkSticks(20)' to 'PrtMarkerSuppliesSupplyUnitTC'
- rejected - rationale: TC in Printer MIB module - requires new RFC
- but PWG Steering Committee has asked WIMS WG to consider a
Printer MIB v3 (moving TCs to IANA Printer MIB) at December F2F
(this would require several years given IETF process delays)
- recommendation - use 'percent' for now
(2) add 'standardToner(35)' to 'PrtMarkerSuppliesTypeTC'
- rejected - rationale: 'standard' is the default of any supply
type (Mike S)
- recommendation - treat any unmodified supply type as 'standard'
(3) add 'matteToner(35)' to 'PrtMarkerSuppliesTypeTC'
- accepted - rationale: widely used distinct toner type (Mike S)
(4) add 'matteInk(36)' 'PrtMarkerSuppliesTypeTC'
- rationale: widely used distinct toner type (Mike S)
I will send these registrations to IANA shortly.
- Ira (one of IETF Designated Experts for Printer MIB, along w/ Mike
Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Winter 579 Park Place Saline, MI 48176 734-944-0094
Summer PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839 906-494-2434
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...