[WIMS] Re: Response to Xerox request for IANA Printer MIB enumerations

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 21:00:34 UTC 2011

Hi Tom,

Sorry this is so obscure.

The real reason is quite simple.

RFC 3805 defined two SEPARATE MIB modules:

IANA-PRINTER-MIB
- enums that can be changed and are IANA managed
  (so-called "Type 2" enums)

Printer-MIB
- enums that CANNOT be changed because IANA doesn't have them
  (so-called "Type 1" enums)
- also all the objects in the main body of the MIB (also can't be changed)

Your prtMarkerSuppliesSupplyUnitTC is in the second module.

It's just a physical impossiblity to change it without an entire
new RFC, because IANA does NOT have the source file to
this second MIB module.

Do you see?

This is very badly explained in section 2.4.1 of RFC 3805 - using the
Type 1 and Type 2 language of IPP/1.1 (RFC 2911).

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Silver, Thomas <Thomas.Silver at xerox.com>wrote:

> Hi folks,****
>
> ** **
>
> Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you for considering my proposal
> during your WIMS WG meeting. I do appreciate that time that was spent
> discussing this request. However, I still do NOT understand why our
> proposal to add ‘hundredthsOfInkSticks(20)’ to
> ‘PrtMarkerSuppliesSupplyUnitTC’ was rejected. Why does a new enum for this
> optional object require a new RFC in order to extend the enum definitions?
> The only rationale that I can loosely apply to your position is that the
> enums for the ‘prtMarkerSuppliesSupplyUnit’ object may be defined as Type 1
> enums. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything within RFC 3805 which defines
> the optional ‘prtMarkerSuppliesSupplyUnit’ object as requiring type 1
> enums. Therefore, can you please help me understand where this is defined
> and why? Until then, I will remain confused about your decision…****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>
> Tom****
>
> ** **
>
> *                                   ** ***
>
> *Thomas Silver*
>
> *Mgr, Device Compliance*
>
> *Global Remote Services*
>
> *Xerox Information Management*