Character Repertories Mail Archive: Re: CR> CR teleconferenc

Re: CR> CR teleconference and Implementor's Guide

From: Jun Fujisawa (fujisawa.jun@canon.co.jp)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 05:43:59 EST

    Hello Elliott,

    At 2:16 PM -0500 03.1.3, ElliottBradshaw@oaktech.com wrote:
    >As our main topic I would like to go through the draft Implementor's Guide,
    >which I have placed at:
    >ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/Character-Repertoires/CRimplementorsGuide.htm.

    I would like to point out that the terms "repertoire" and "character set" as
    defined in Terminology section does not seem to be consistent with the usage
    in W3C Character Model.

    For example, the use of therm "character set" is discouraged in Section 3.6.2
    of Character Model for the World Wide Web 1.0

    - Character Model for the World Wide Web 1.0
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/>

    >As before, my biggest challenge is finding online, normative material for
    >the details of the Asian character sets (except Korean, which is covered in
    >an RFC).

    Unfortunately, the only normative materials to the definitions of Japanese
    coded character sets (CCS) are Japanese national standards.

    - JIS X 0201
    Japanese Industrial Standards Committee. 7-bit and 8-bit coded character
    sets for information interchange, JIS X 0201:1997, Japanese Standards
    Association, 1997.

    - JIS X 0208
    Japanese Industrial Standards Committee. 7-bit and 8-bit double byte coded
    KANJI sets for information interchange, JIS X 0208:1997, Japanese
    Standards Association, 1997.

    - JIS X 0212
    Japanese Industrial Standards Committee. Code of the supplementary Japanese
    graphic character set for information interchange, JIS X0212:1990,
    Japanese Standards Association, 1990.

    - JIS X 0221
    Japanese Industrial Standards Committee. Universal Multiple-Octet Coded
    Character Set (UCS) -- Part 1: Architecture and Basic

    Also, I suggest to consult the following W3C Note for the detailed information
    on some Japanese character encoding schemes (CES) and their mappings to
    Unicode.

    - XML Japanese Profile
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/japanese-xml/>

    --