IDS> presentation style choices

From: Brian Smithson (brian.smithson@ricoh-usa.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 23:17:26 EST

    As I was looking at how to present the bit-level contents of NAP
    packets, I found that there were several ways to present the information
    and each one had some advantage and disadvantages. I don't know what is
    best suited for this particular document, especially considering it in
    the context of other PWG binding specs, the Microsoft documents, and
    thinking ahead, compatibility with an NEA/TNC binding spec.

    Attached is an example of one attribute presented in different styles
    for your consideration.

    Choice #1 is the most consistent with MS-SOH, but it is somewhat more
    compact than what MS does.
    Choice #2 is a variation on that theme, showing the positions of bits in
    bit-fields.
    Choice #3 is the most compact, because it embeds values into the diagram
    where it is practical to do so.
    Choice #4 -- there isn't one, but if you have suggestions or other
    examples, I'm open...

    I don't really care what we choose, but I think that #2 could be a
    problem for long bit-fields. Choice #1 is a safe choice if we're
    considering style compatibility with MS, but I also like the compactness
    and conciseness of Choice #3.

    Please look at the attachment and send me some feedback, or discuss on
    the mailing list if that is appropriate.

    Thanks,

    --
    Regards,
    Brian Smithson