IFX Mail Archive: IFX> Re: IPP Fax use of vCard (2.1/3.0?)

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC (phoffman@imc.org)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 20:34:38 EDT

    Greetings.

    >The PWG (Printer Working Group) currently sponsors the
    >IPP Fax WG, who have (largely) completed their protocol
    >spec (enhancements to the base IPP/1.1 printing protocol).
    >
    >Two new attributes in IPP Fax Jobs are:
    >
    >5.1 ippfax-sending-user-vcard (1setOf text(MAX))
    >--- operation/Job Description attribute
    >
    >5.2 ippfax-receiving-user-vcard (text(MAX))
    >--- operation/Job Description attribute

    I don't see which RFC or Internet Draft has these in it. I'd like to
    see the context where they are used.

    >These attributes are used for banner pages and logs on the
    >IPP Fax Jobs and OPTIONALLY may be used to send notifications
    >(for example, via email) to Receiving Users of the completion
    >of IPP Fax Jobs.

    Sounds reasonable.

    >Our question is should we normatively reference vCard/2.1
    >(at the IMC site) or vCard/3.0 (RFC 2426, at the IETF site)?

    The latter, definitely. It is a standards track document, whereas the
    2.1 document is not.

    >I see that there are clarifications and 'tightening of
    >behavior' in RFC 2426 listed as differences from vCard/2.1.

    Correct. The original vCard 2.1 spec was written by folks who were
    not used to the somewhat rigorous specification requirements of the
    IETF.

    --Paul Hoffman, Director
    --Internet Mail Consortium