IPP Mail Archive: Are "embellishments" really desirable right now?

Are "embellishments" really desirable right now?

JK Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Fri, 22 Nov 96 17:16 EST

Bob Herriot wrote:

> I agree with Tom that if the values of number-up are really an enum
> with values of none, 1, 2, 4, then 'none' means normal printing and 1,
> 2 and 4 mean default embellishments with 1, 2 or 4 pages per
> impression. The embellishments attribute is an extra if we believe
> that printers support multiple embellishments.

This whole area of "embellishments" (aka formatting styles) is somewhat
getting away from the "protocol" aspects of IPP, is it not?

I mean, what we're talking about here is an entire domain of how
a job can be formatted independent of content and/or data type.

This can be a *real* rathole...unless we can specify clearly usable
extensibility, preferably by example.

If we're not careful, the whole issue of watermarks and generic forms
processing could loom its head, and if that happens, we'd better be
able to respond.

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03015-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --