IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP>PRO - Print by reference

Re: IPP>PRO - Print by reference

Randy Turner (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Thu, 29 May 1997 12:58:34 -0700

The kind of print-by-reference I would like to see would be where I
could send the printer a URL,
referencing a particular RFC;

SendDocument: REF(http://ds.internic.org/pub/rfc/rfc1122.txt)

And that way I wouldn't have to suffer the time downloading the file
first to my machine, and then
PUSHing the document to the printer.

For this type of access, I don't think security is needed. For INTRAnet
printing, I pretty much agree
with Scott L. that it would be possible for printers to authenticate
themselves with a document
repository, because the domain of usage (departmental or company
divisional) would be small enough
to deal with.

Randy