IPP Mail Archive: IPP> PRO - Re: Print by reference

IPP> PRO - Re: Print by reference

Carl-Uno Manros (cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 09:51:18 PDT

At 07:48 AM 6/5/97 PDT, you wrote:

snip-snip

>It may seem inappropriate for me to comment, since I have been
>so heavily involved in trying to progress (and streamline) the job MIB
>and have not made any specific detailed contributions to IPP. I haven't
>been dealing with standards as long as some of you, but long enough to
>understand (and have been part of) how group behavior among a bunch
>of "brilliant" thinkers can be very difficult to manage, throttle and
>maintain control of.
>
>On this topic, I just offer that SWP is lacking Print by reference, which
>many consider a real requirement. It is clear that various participants
>view the need for IPP to scale from the Enterprise to the device. If kept
>pragmatic and simple enough, I believe there might be a chance for SWP to
>embrace Print by reference and satisfy the bulk of this requirement. If
>not, the debate, and time, will rage on.
>
>Harry

Harry,

a couple of comments. First I do not know why you did not quote my
contribution, in your summary so I will restate some of it.

Print-by-reference is an optional feature like most other Printer features,
and from a protocol point of view it is not very different from whether a
printer can staple or not. It is true that that print-by-reference is more
likely to be supported by print-servers rather than by small printers, but
so what? When you ask the printer about its capabilities, it will tell you
whether it supports print-by-reference or not. Like support for multiple
documents in a job, you probably want to find out whether your printer
supports it, before blindly submitting a job.

The limited functionality of SWP has little or nothing to do with the
print-by-reference discussion. The major limitations with SWP lie in the
fact that it does not support important functions such as Cancel job and
Get attributes, which are much more important.

Hope this helps to clarify what we are talking about.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros@cp10.es.xerox.com