IPP Mail Archive: IPP> Re: IPP > FAQ - How should the server behave?

IPP> Re: IPP > FAQ - How should the server behave?

Turner, Randy (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 04:24:29 -0800

The HTTP server that is doing NSAPI, ISAPI, or CGI to a back-end IPP
server will always know the state of it's end of the TCP connection. If
for any reason, the generic HTTP server receives an error indicating
termination of the connection to the client, it will throw away the
response from the CGI IPP server. In this case the IPP client will have
to reconnect and re-issue the IPP request.

On the 2nd issue regarding the 10GB (wow!) print job, unfortunately its
hard to predict what different generic HTTP servers will do with a
PRINT-JOB request to a back-end CGI implementation of an IPP server.
For a dedicated IPP server implementation that might be embedded in a
physical printer, the server would immediately respond back to a client
when an error was detected. And if the error was severe enough, the
server would close the connection to the client so that the remainder of
a very large job would not have to take up network bandwidth for no
reason.