IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Notifications

RE: IPP> Notifications

Caruso, Angelo (Angelo.Caruso@usa.xerox.com)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 05:30:29 PST

Paul,

Has anyone considered using SNMP traps for these kinds of asynchronous
notifications? It's light-weight and quick and designed for this sort of
thing, unlike HTTP or email. Just a thought.

Thanks,
Angelo

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Moore [SMTP:paulmo@microsoft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 1998 8:05 PM
To: 'Larry Masinter'; Turner, Randy
Cc: 'ipp@pwg.org'
Subject: RE: IPP> Notifications

We need to distinguish two types of notification. (This was a
long and
exciting debate in Maui!).

Firstly a client should be able to request that (for exmaple)
when a print
job is completed that a human readable notification be sent to
some URL,
that a pager be bleeped, that a robot arm should waved over a
fire to create
a smoke signal, whatever.

We also agreed that if IPP were to be extended to manage the
lower level
interface from the server/cleint to the printer then some
machine readable
noification mechanism was needed. For example the printer is
running low on
paper it may signal a listener somewhere, if a configuration
change takes
place or whatever. This notification may even be the 'job
completed'
notification back to a server that triggers it to send the human
readable
notification that was requested in the original print job from
the client to
the server.

posted