P1394 Mail Archive: RE: P1394> Comments on recent PWG-C/PWG meeting

RE: P1394> Comments on recent PWG-C/PWG meeting

Fumio Nagasaka (fumiona@venus.dtinet.or.jp)
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:48:47 +0900

I think SBP-2 is more suitable for printing protocol from flow control point
of view. The SBP-2 is designed based on memory bus model which we
can perform fetch-model. Thus I agree with Eric.

The SBP-2 does not support login less operation. Is this mean that we
can not invoke login-less status-get operation? Is this a drawback of
the SBP-2? Answer is "No".

The SBP-2 does not forbid multiple login, thus we can invoke login just
for getting status. Or even if the unusual implementation of SBP-2 does
not allow multiple login, a Login ORB may specify status_FIFO address
and a target device may return command set dependent status block.

This feature gives us satisfaction for the question I asked to Alan at the
meeting held on 6/12 at Tokyo.

Fumio Nagasaka
Epson Software Development Laboratory Inc.
Tel +81 268 25 4111, Fax +81 268 25 4627
E-mail to genesis@hd.epson.co.jp