PMP Mail Archive: PMP> RE: [Addressability] one more printer

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 19:05:43 EDT

    Hi Juergen,

    While you're correct that we should define another column
    in 'prtInterpreterTable' to disambiguate this units problem,
    that's not very practical.

    The actual objects (very few) newly defined in Printer MIB v2
    have all been stable for four or five years. Several printer
    vendors have been shipping full Printer MIB v2 implementations
    for two or three years. The tools all understand the current
    objects in Printer MIB v2. Adding an object now would be
    unpopular in the extreme.

    Vendors - is adding a new column to 'prtInterpreterTable'
    (the technically correct solution) acceptable?

    Ron and Harry - I'm personally ambivalent about this issue.
    Juergen has uncovered a non-trivial bug in the Printer MIB
    (v1 and v2).

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, co-editor of Printer MIB v2
      High North Inc