PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> RE: Need clarification on the def

Re: PMP> RE: Need clarification on the definition of RFC 3805 'prtMarkerLi feCount' object

From: wamwagner@comcast.net
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 14:15:38 EDT

    I agree with Ira's analysis with respect to prtMarkerLifeCount when the identified unit is 'impressions(7)'. Indeed, implementations of the several manufacturers I know of increment the impression count on blank impressions specified by the document data stream, whether duplex or simplex. There may be some difference in counting the last side of an odd-number-of-sides document printed duplex, although typically it is not counted. The difference may be whether the last blank side goes though the marker twice.

    If the unit were sheets, for example, implementations appear to count a sheet just once regardless of whether it is printed simplex or duplex; however, an argument could be made for counting a duplex sheet twice at least for some duplexing configurations.The duplexer is regarded as part of the media path, separate from the marker. The duplexer may indeed enter the sheet into the marker twice.

    However, I would like to see more standardization/documentation on the handing of color printers, and potential differences between single pass laser and multipass. Although private MIBs may handle it differently, the typical approach to Printer MIB objects is to specify four markers (for a CMYK machine). Is the prtMarkerLifeCount for one color incremented if that color is not used on a particular impression? There undoubtedly are reasonable guidelines for this, but I haven't seen any documented.

    Bill Wagner