PWG-IPP Mail Archive: PWG-IPP> Two questions about IPP job c

PWG-IPP> Two questions about IPP job control and equipment

From: Dietrich Laslov (dietrich.laslov@dox-at.com)
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 14:15:06 EDT

    Hi there!

    I'm new to this list, so let me first introduce myself shortley: I'm an austrian
    application developer living in Vienna. My companies business ist software,
    services and consulting for the large scale print output management.

    I got the job to find a solution to write something like a print spooler/server
    that should be able to report the real final condition (ok, error, cancelled) of
    a print job to the business application. In that special case small printeres
    (HP Laserjet oder something like that) should be used. The preferred programming
    language is Java.

    So after some research I found the JINI Print API that promises a job control
    like we need. And it's based on IPP, what seems to be a nice thing too, because
    it immanent allowes an over-tho-internet-printing too, what can be a theme for
    us in future.

    Now to my questions:

    1) Does every IPP hard- and software combination support that status report from
    the printer?

    2) Can I use every IPP server withe every printer or ar there SOME servers that
    can deal with lots of printers or do I need a soft- or hardware server from the
    printers manufactor?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dietrich