XP Mail Archive: XP> character entities and XHTML-Print

XP> character entities and XHTML-Print

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) (jim_bigelow@hp.com)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 19:50:30 EDT

    Hello,

    I've been trying to understand which set of pre-defined character entities
    are applicable to XHTML-Print: the xml or the XHTML 1.0 set.

    One of my colleagues says it is the smaller, xml set. I think it is the
    XHTML 1.0 set.

    Here's my reasoning, see what you think:

    1. XHTML-Print is in the family of XHTML document types since it is created
    by combining XHTML modules.
    (http://www.pwg.org/xhtml-print/HTML-Version/XHTML-Print.html#s1.1)

    2. The DTDs and entity sets attached to the XHTML 1.0 specs "form a
    normative part of this specification."
    (http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xhtml1-20020801/#dtds)

    3. Therefore, the entity sets in XHTML 1.0 should be supported in
    XHTML-Print unless the XHTML-Print spec states otherwise.

    Comments?

    Jim Bigelow
    Hewlett-Packard