XP Mail Archive: Re: XP> Open issues for XHTML-Print and CSS

Re: XP> Open issues for XHTML-Print and CSS Print Profile and "Last Call" for issues.

From: don@lexmark.com
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 15:22:38 EST

    My opinions in line....

    XHTML-Print Issues
    (http://www.pwg.org/xhtml-print/HTML-Version/XHTML-Print.html):
    1. Missing reference to ITU BT.601

    <FDW> Fix this reference. </FDW>

    2. EXIF markers and image rotation.

    <FDW> If we get no answers from the stakeholders (Canon, et al) then we
    should just close this one. </FDW>

    3. Does [the] value of Content-Type of XHTML data part [assume one of the
    values] application/vnd.pwg-xhtml-print+xml, application/xhtml+xml ?
    (http://www.pwg.org/hypermail/xp/0077.html)

    <FDW> I don't understand the question. I didn't understand it in the
    original e-mail either. </FDW>

    4. XHTML-Print conforming printer should support all attributes.
    (http://www.pwg.org/hypermail/xp/0086.html)

    <FDW> Fujisawa-san's quote leaves out the extremely important context:

    "However, not all the attributes are applicable to a rendering of an
    XHTML-Print document in a printed media, especially those that are integral
    to a dynamic display of the document in a browser and the submission of a
    form. Furthermore, special attention is given to simple printers and some
    attributes are deemed too complex for a such a printer to render."

    Given the context, the document is simply stating that "things" that don't
    make sense for printing have to be recognized but their behavior may be
    null.

    </FDW>

    5. Need design rationale for presentation module support.
    (http://www.pwg.org/hypermail/xp/0087.html)

    <FDW> Simple, commonly used and valid method to get font variations.
    (Obviously this needs more expansive verbage but that's the bottom line.)
    </FDW>

    6. "charset" parameter of XHTML
    (http://www.pwg.org/hypermail/xp/0076.html)

    <FDW> I thought we closed this issue at the last meeting? </FDW>

    CSS Print Profile Issues
    (http://www.pwg.org/xhtml-print/HTML-Version/CSS-Print.html):
    1. Should enhancements requested by Digital TV groups be added to the
    Enhanced Layout enhancement set or become a new, separate enhancement set?
    http://www.pwg.org/xhtml-print/minutes/Minutes-November-2002.html#dtv
     Supported by:
      Kazuyuki MURATA, Matsushita Electric Industrial Co,.LTD.(PANASONIC)
      Elliot Bradshaw, Oak

     <FDW> Add me to this list of those supporting this approach. </FDW>

    2. Border-spacing property of enhanced layout not effective,
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/www/hypermail/xp/0098.html
     Supports requiring support of the border-collapse property
      Jim Bigelow, HP
      Elliott Bradshaw, Oak

     <FDW> Add me here as supporting the border-collapse property. </FDW>

    3. Addition of Attribute Selectors: E[Attr] and E[Attr=val],
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/www/hypermail/xp/0102.html
     Supports only adding E[Attr]:
       Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products

     Supports adding E[Attr] and E[Attr=val]
       Jim Bigelow, HP
       Elliott Bradshaw, Oak

     Supports adding E[Attr] and E[Attr=val] in the enhancement set
       Harry Lewis, IBM
       Don Wright, Lexmark

     Don Wright don@lexmark.com

     Chair, IEEE SA Standards Board
     Member, IEEE-ISTO Board of Directors
     f.wright@ieee.org / f.wright@computer.org

     Director, Alliances & Standards
     Lexmark International
     740 New Circle Rd
     Lexington, Ky 40550
     859-825-4808 (phone) 603-963-8352 (fax)

    "BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1)" <jim.bigelow@hp.com>@pwg.org on 01/02/2003
    06:16:48 PM

    Sent by: owner-xp@pwg.org

    Here is a summary of the open issues for the XHTML-Print and CSS Print
    Profile specifications.

    This email is a "last call" for issues. Issues submitted after January 9,
    2003 (1/8/03) will not be considered by the January 20, 2003 meeting.

[...]

    Jim Bigelow,
    Editor: XHTML-Print & CSS Print Profile
    IEEE, Printer Working Group
    http://www.pwg.org/xhtml-print