XP Mail Archive: RE: XP> Open issues for XHTML-Print and CSS

RE: XP> Open issues for XHTML-Print and CSS Print Profile and "La st Call" for issues.

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) (jim.bigelow@hp.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 15:57:39 EST

    My response is in line ...

    > 4. XHTML-Print conforming printer should support all attributes.
    > (http://www.pwg.org/hypermail/xp/0086.html)
    >
    > <FDW> Fujisawa-san's quote leaves out the extremely important context:
    >
    > "However, not all the attributes are applicable to a
    > rendering of an XHTML-Print document in a printed media,
    > especially those that are integral to a dynamic display of
    > the document in a browser and the submission of a form.
    > Furthermore, special attention is given to simple printers
    > and some attributes are deemed too complex for a such a
    > printer to render."
    >
    > Given the context, the document is simply stating that
    > "things" that don't make sense for printing have to be
    > recognized but their behavior may be null.
    >
    > </FDW>

    I created a list of all the attributes in XHTML-Print and added a note to
    each attribute about why the attribute is or is not required of a printer.
    This list is at
    http://www.pwg.org/xhtml-print/HTML-Version/attribute_support.htm.

    The following attributes are deemed too complex:
    align "td,th,tr" "except for justify and char"
    declare object "could require too much memory"
    hreflang link no
    multiple select no
    valign "td,th,tr" "not defined across pages"
    xml:lang I18N no

    I think that the decision about complexity and "simple printer" could be the
    cause for some debate in the larger, W3C markup group.

    Jim Bigelow,
    Editor: XHTML-Print & CSS Print Profile
    IEEE, Printer Working Group
    http://www.pwg.org/xhtml-print