XP> W3C update on XHTML-Print and CSS Print

From: Grant, Melinda (melinda.grant@hp.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2006 - 19:38:44 EDT

    As I reported a couple of months ago, XHTML-Print has been halted at PR
    because of its normative dependency on CSS Print (and, in turn, on CSS
    2.1).

    As it has become apparent that it will take at least a year and probably
    two for CSS 2.1 to become a PR and thereby enable the completion of CSS
    Print, the HTML WG believes the best path forward is to remove the
    normative requirement for CSS Print support from XHTML-Print, which I
    believe will enable it to move to PER (Proposed Edited Recommendation)
    and then shortly on to REC. Leaving the document at PR for this length
    of time is not an acceptable option.

    HP supports this change. We can consider 'rolling' XHTML-Print to
    include the coupling after the completion of CSS Print if needed. In
    truth, if there were market justification for content without styling,
    there is no technical reason why XHTML-Print needs to require styling
    support.

    CSS Print can still be required in conjunction with XHTML-Print; but the
    requirement must be separately stated, as the XHTML-Print spec itself
    will no longer mandate styling support. (It will instead say something
    fuzzy like, "XHTML-Print is expected to be used in conjunction with CSS
    styling.") The UPnP PrintEnhanced spec is an example of a protocol
    which states both requirements individually, so this is really nothing
    we haven't done before.

    If I hear no objections to this change within the next ten days, I will
    assume it is acceptable to you. If you have objections, please copy
    them to the w3c-html-wg@w3.org.

    Best wishes,

    Melinda
      _____